Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Interviewing Anvil

With Gamma Chapter Phi Class's Angus 'Anvil' Zhang studying medicine in China, we interviewed him about what it has been like so far.

  • What is the biggest difference between living in China and the USA?

    The biggest difference between living in China and the U.S.A. has to be the cultural difference and the weather and pollution. There is never a clear sky in China. No blue skies, no stars, no moon, and you barely could see the sun.
  • What made you choose to go to Medical School?

    Medicine has been one of my passions since a young age; being able to help people and to take care of the human body are things I always wondered about.
  • Are there any cultural barriers while studying abroad?

    Yeah, there are several, but I am in an international school and students have open minds here so we overcome these cultural barriers easily.
  • If you had a chance to change the decision to attend Medical School in China, would you?

    No, I would not. I believe this experience will have many positive effects on me and will open my eyes to China as well as to medicine.
  • How different are the American and Chinese health systems?

    If you mean healthcare, then one of the biggest differences is that you have to pay by cash for all types of healthcare. So, in hospitals, people bring thousands of dollars to the hospital just to get simple CT scans, xrays, or even a simple check up.
  • What are your plans for the coming years?

    My plan for the future is to take my United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) over the course of 5 years and then I will come back to get my residency done in order to get my license. 
We wish you luck with your studies in China, Anvil!